Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sar El

So I spent these past three weeks on an army base called Amiad in the north next to Lake Kinneret and Tiberius. My time there was spent doing the work of an army jobnik, which are people whose work in the army is non combative. They work on bases so that if a war breaks out then they are ready and equipped for it. After the Lebanon the government really saw how ill-prepared they were in the event of war so now they are spending more time on base upkeep i case of the outbreak of war. So as a temporary jobnik I would work to organize a warehouse full of solder's bags or cleaning guns. Other kids helped clean tanks. The work was typically trivial, but it was cool to be doing something that so directly benefited the army. I also was able to meet many interesting solders. My group went on some trips; one to a hike next to the Kinneret and one to an ancient city towards the coast. In Sar El we had to wear army uniforms all the time. Here's a picture of me in mine inside the room that I lived in for the three weeks.

No comments: